Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happenings: July 2010

Wherein I compile the month's goings-on and categorize them into the good, the bad, and the random.


The Good:

  • Reading with mon petit frère every night. I don't think I can make him as big as a Harry Potter nerd as I am (like that's even possible), but there's no shame in trying! I really enjoy it when he's genuinely surprised by something that hasn't been in the movies, and I love hearing his theories, when he shares them with me.
  • A lovely lunch with Miss Jacqueline and Miss Sadie this past Monday. I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian, but if I do I shall miss Mexican food very much. And of course I shall miss my friends when they head off to Notre Dame next month!
  • Rescuing dogs with Jackie. Well, just one, but I think we had fun, in a kind of weird way.
  • Inception. Just Inception.
  • I am now $700 dollars richer. Go summer jobs!
  • Going to see Despicable Me with Alyson Fink. Such an adorable movie.
  • Chilling with Sara Fink the week before. Awesome times were had.
  • A Very Potter Sequel.
  • My two West Wing days with Jessi. Who knows, we might have another one, seeing as how we're only on season four in our best-of-the-series marathon.
  • A federal judge striking down a good portion of the Arizona immigration law. I wish the whole thing would just go away, but this is a great start! Now if we could only convince half of Americans to get over their xenophobia...
  • Getting excited about my writing again.
The Bad
  • I still don't have my financial aid from UVa yet. I understand it's taking longer than they anticipated, and I'll be very grateful when it does get posted, but I'm starting to feel a bit anxious.
  • The Sunburn of Evil is now peeling, which is unpleasant to say the least.
  • My legs are really, really hurting, which I guess is what happens when you attempt to do lunges for five minutes and then walk your dog. Ow.
  • Summer cabin fever (yes, I am allowed to make up conditions). Restlessness from being away from school, I suppose. It's not a good feeling. I love my family, but I'm really looking forward to going back to Virginia and seeing my college friends again.
  • Looks like San Francisco is a no-go at least for this summer. Boo.
  • BP still sucks. As do Republican partisans with video-editing software. Or, you know, just the Republican Party in general.
The Random
  • I guess I'm just sensitive to the cold, but the air conditioning in my room is like a meat locker. And I thought I wouldn't have much use for my UVa hoodie this summer.
  • I've just gotten used to Pacific Standard Time, only to have to go back to Eastern Standard Time in about three weeks. So yeah.
  • My dog is such a ham. He's always rolling over onto his back and wriggling in front of me so I'll scratch his belly. He's also adorable, so I can't resist. Come to think of it, he's a bit like his namesake. Attention-seeking, handsome, smart ... and that's where the comparisons end. Because he doesn't really mind being cooped up in the house, although he does enjoy his walks. Er, his name is Sirius, by the way. Three guesses who named him.
Also, it is July 31, which means I must wish a very happy birthday to my all-time favorite author, J. K. Rowling. You are an amazing woman, Jo, and an inspiration to any aspiring writer! Thank you a million times over for your wonderful books!

See you in August, everyone!