Thursday, December 15, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

Fall semester of 2011 is finished. My bags are packed, the contents of my room are boxed up and in storage, and I leave for the airport in roughly four hours. I go to France in just under three weeks.

Everything is changing so quickly. I can't believe my study-abroad semester is almost here. I certainly can't believe I'm not going to be at UVa in the spring. My therapist and I talked a lot about the difference between knowing things intuitively and knowing things emotionally, and this is one of those times where that situation applies. I spent my day packing and getting everything ready, so in my head I know that I am going to California tomorrow and Europe a few weeks afterward. But emotionally, I don't think it's hit me yet. Maybe I'm too worn out from exams.

Today was beautiful. It's hard to see the forest for the trees sometimes. I get caught up in the ups and downs of everyday life. Occasionally I feel moody and unpopular. Not today. Friends volunteered to help me move my stuff (Elizabeth and Ryan - thank you so much. You are fantastic and amazing, and you don't know how much I appreciate you giving up time during exam week to carry my boxes upon boxes up and down three flights of stairs and then play real-life Tetris to fit it all into your cars. You have my undying gratitude). Pooja took me out to lunch and brought me tape and blankets when I needed them. Andi kept me company and sorted my recycling with me. Lauren - wonderful Lauren - turned what I thought would be a nice, one-on-one Lemongrass outing into a fabulous and very thoughtful farewell dinner, with nearly all my closest Wesley friends in attendance. Matt treated me to Lemongrass/Arch's (a glorious combination if there ever was one), and together with Andi and Pooja, I got to see him experience the Avatar: The Last Airbender finale (and nerdily discuss its narrative structure and speculate about Korra). Matt (roommate of the aforementioned Matt) is very selflessly getting up at an ungodly hour to drive me to the airport. Every time that I feel lonely, I need to remind myself of days like this, and how blessed I am to have the friends I do. Wow. I am just floored by their kindness and their love.

I'm going to wrap this up here. I need to try and get some sleep if I want to be at all functional for tomorrow. But my time at UVa, at least for now, has ended well, and I'm so glad I have wonderful friends to come back to next year. Adieu, mes cheries! Time to see what the future holds.