Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Life Sucks and Then You Die

Congressman Tom Perriello lost his reelection bid. I suppose it was incredibly optimistic of me to even hope we had a chance, after the healthcare vote (because people in the 5th district who don't live in Charlottesville are crazy and don't recognize a good thing when they've got it), but I honestly thought that his willingness to act according to his principles and be honest with his constituents would appeal to moderates and even some conservatives. I guess a little sense in American politics is too much to ask for.


I hate - HATE - that this election will be seen as a repudiation of President Obama's policies. People must really have short memories, or they would remember how awful things were under Bush. Look, economic recovery takes time. And I know, American people, that you're used to getting your way, right away, when you want it, and acting like spoiled children when you don't, but politics doesn't work that way. It is an inherently slow process. And you know what? That's a good thing. And if you think that Republicans are somehow going to get you your jobs faster, you're delusional. They're in the pocket of corporate America, and they certainly don't have the interests of the lower and middle classes at heart. This is the party of tax cuts for the rich and cutting unemployment and welfare benefits for the poor. As much as they claim to care about the little guy, they do absolutely nothing that will help him out.


The thing is, though, if you're willing to buy the Republicans' bullshit, you deserve the ineffective and deadlocked government you will get, with a Republican House (and Speaker Boehner, gag me) and a Democratic Senate, with a Democratic president that will most assuredly veto any remotely conservative legislation. Absolutely nothing will get done in the next two years, and it's your own damn fault, gullible American public. It's called patience. Try it sometime.


I am so unbelievably frustrated right now. Eff this.