Friday, September 10, 2010

Highs and Lows

Last semester I was part of a women's small group at the Wesley Foundation. Nearly every time we met, we spent part of our time going over our Highs and Lows. It's a fairly self-evident concept; we shared a particularly nice or happy and a particularly sad or frustrating experience from the past week. It gave us something to do if there was nothing special planned, and it was a good way the meeting otherwise. I thought I would include my own highs and lows for the month of September so far. Here goes!

Highs
  • I love everything about my Constitutional Interpretation class, even the cheesy 90s video we watched on Wednesday. Professor O'Brien is extremely well-versed in his subject, and he happens to be a great lecturer and very funny to boot. My TA, Laura, runs a great section - almost worth missing forum at Wesley for! My friend Matt makes for quite an able class companion, too.
  • The weather has been gorgeous. Not too humid, and certainly not too hot. Silly Virginians, sweltering in 90-degree heat.
  • Charlottesville has a Farmer's Market on Saturdays. I've now been twice, and plan on going every week until it closes for the season. Delicious organic and local food, what more could a good liberal ask for?
  • Clemons Library has an extensive Gilmore Girls collection, which means I don't have to wait for Netflix to feed my addiction. I couldn't ask for a better mom than my own, but I would love having Lorelai Gilmore as a quirky aunt or godmother. And the dialogue. Yes.
  • This week's West Wing class was much better than last week's. There are still Republicans in it, but hey, you can't have everything in life.
  • My Civil Rights discussion is amazing. The lecture is ... less so. More on that down the page.
  • I love the Starbucks in the South Lawn.
  • Actually, I just love the South Lawn. It is beautiful.
  • We won our first football game of the season! I didn't go, but it was so nice to hear that we had a nice, healthy victory. I didn't think I could handle a redux of the William and Mary situation.
  • People who have made me happy this week: Pooja, Kathryn, Lauren, Andi, Ruth, Meagan, my parents, my brothers, Maria, Matt, someone who shall not be named, TAs Tamika and Laura, and I'm sure I've forgotten countless others. Oh, and my dog, who is not technically a person but should be. Apparently it's rather amusing to watch for his reaction when I Skype home.
  • Amélie with Pooja! Such a wonderful movie!
Lows
  • I wish Professor Bond's class was more interesting to me. He's lived the history we're studying, which is amazing, but I've been quite sleepy in lecture. This shouldn't be the case.
  • Ugh Republicans ugh. (No offense to Republicans I've befriended!)
  • I have no time for pleasure reading. And I want to reread Anne of Green Gables, and Ellen lent me Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Payton lent me Wigfield. Dilemma!
  • College has taken away my morning person trait. I am such a zombie before noon, it's not even funny.
  • One of my bosses, Louise, has her last day tomorrow. She's moving to Boston. Best of luck to her, but we'll all miss her greatly!
  • Mami's in Puerto Rico, and I'm not.
  • Daddy, Richie, Josh, and Sirius are in California, and I'm not.
  • I miss my family.
Au revoir, mes amis!