- We went to eat at Founding Farmers, an organic restaurant in the Foggy Bottom area. Their food and decor were both excellent, and their musical tastes appear to be similar to those of my boss, Leslie. I was slightly distraught, however, to discover some chicken hidden in my scrambled eggs, as I am about to mark my tenth month as a vegetarian. The management apologized profusely, though, and my meal and the group dessert (beignets) were taken off the check. So give them a try next time you're in DC!
- For some reason, we thought our show started at 8 and not 7:30, which meant we arrived just as the show was starting. Pooja and Sara made it to their seats during the first song, but Elizabeth and I were sitting up in the second tier and we both needed to use the restroom, so we had to wait until the ushers found an appropriate moment to bring us in. The show itself was incredible, although it helped that I knew the plot beforehand; otherwise, it probably would have been difficult to follow. I particularly enjoyed the music. "One Day More" was so beautiful and powerful. Also, Eponine is cool (not okay with her being so fixated on a guy, though. Be fixated on your awesome self instead, Eponine!) and Cosette is boring.
- We ran into the Occupy DC protesters on our way to the White House (we were waiting for a table at the restaurant and decided to walk around for a bit). More than one person implored us to join them (we declined as graciously as possible).
- The White House is so much smaller than I remembered it being. Granted, I'm not sure if I've ever seen it from the side we went by, but it actually seemed quite ordinary for such a famous place. I'm about 98% positive we passed the gate sometimes used in The West Wing, though (Josh and Donna go through it at the end of "Noel" in season 2, and Josh and CJ both use it in season 7, in "Requiem" and "Tomorrow," respectively).
- Yesterday was the perfect day for picnicking and monument hopping. We went to visit our good friend TJ first, then took in our lunch of fruit, cheese, and varying refreshment stand fare. Then we walked over to the FDR memorial, which felt about as long as his twelve years in office (that's okay, though, because he's pretty much my favorite president - liberal lion, hells yeah), and saw the new Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial (I've read "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" so many times I instantly recognized the quotation on the wall - well, that, and I've written so many papers about the guy his words are practically seared into my brain. Not that that's a bad thing).
- Sara and I took the Amtrak to Alexandria and back. On the return trip, I introduced Sara to the cafe car, with which she was suitably impressed. Incidentally, the vegan burgers are not half bad.
- Throughout the weekend I suffered through The Fatal Equilibrium, the terrible, terrible novel my econ professor assigned for class. He also happened to have co-written it under a psuedonym, which I figured out when half the things his protagonist, a Harvard economist, talked about were things my professor had mentioned in class. I like him well enough as a professor, but his fiction-writing skills are godawful (not Stephenie Meyer bad, but close). Example: "Well, I confess I did get something more than I bargained for in the bargain basement." Whyyyyyy?
Photo credit goes to Pooja!
