Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh Hey There

I haven't been especially motivated to blog these last couple of weeks. Some of it has been just plain busyness; I had to write a ten-page paper in French for one of my classes, and I was filling out summer internship applications at the same time, so most of my writerly energies were focused elsewhere. This past week I've been putting last-minute details on a loose itinerary for my mom's visit. She arrives early Saturday morning, and we'll be spending eight days together in Paris, London, and the Netherlands. I'm very excited, but it is a little stressful to plan things out like this. Still, I imagine we'll have a great time, and I'm bringing my laptop, so hopefully I'll be able to give plenty of blog updates on our travels!

Other things:
  • So I've lost a lot of weight lately. Last time I checked, I was eight pounds away from my ultimate target. I'm happy about this, but I'm not used to how different my body seems. It's sharp in odd places, where I can actually feel the angles of my bones. Is this how skinny people feel all the time? There's also the small problem that none of my clothes fit anymore. I have a pair of jeans that never fit spectacularly well to begin with, but now can't even be worn with a belt; I threw them on yesterday to go grocery shopping and ended up spending the entire time holding them up with one hand. My appetite has been weird, too; I'm constantly hungry, but when I actually eat, I get full very quickly.
  • Went to see Mirror, Mirror in French with Eva on Tuesday. It was a very pretty movie, but a little light on substance. I haven't been able to get that final Bollywoodesque number out of my head, though, which is slightly frustrating. Interestingly enough, the dialogue was dubbed, but the song was still in English. Most songs in movies here are in English, actually. Most songs in general are in English, really.
  • Korra continues to be my latest obsession, as anyone who follows my Tumblr can attest. New episode on Saturday! I hope iTunes has it up quickly, so I can take it in in all its HD glory.
  • Not sure if I've mentioned this, but I'm going to Scotland in May! Along with the south of France and Ireland. Eva and I are greatly looking forward to it!
  • The weather has been rainy and cold as of late. This is making me quite envious of my American friends and their 80+ degree temperatures. Speaking of which, I still think in Fahrenheit after nearly four months in France. Wish Celsius came easier to me!
  • Fair-trade salted plantain chips from the Carrefour market across the street have become my latest crack. I've always loved plantain chips - they're widely available in Puerto Rico - but I've discovered they're the perfect snack for France in springtime. It's too cold for ice cream, I don't particularly care for potato chips, and they remind me of home. 
  • The dryer downstairs is broken, so I've had to hang up all my wet clothes around my room and hope they're not still damp when I pack my suitcase tomorrow. I wish they didn't smell so weird.
  • Jackie linked me to this blog yesterday. Glad there are others out there who understand my plight.