Or, the post where Aida complains a lot when she really should be grateful she's even in France in the first place.
It has now been a week since I arrived in France. I don't really have much to write about today, as nothing of consequence happened. My French class met at 9 AM, which meant I had to get up entirely too early for someone who still isn't used to the time zone, and take the Metro during rush hour. I may not have mentioned this before, but I'm mildly claustrophobic, so this morning's ride wasn't very fun. The Metro car was completely packed, and as usually happens when I'm in a small, enclosed space with many other people, I started to feel anxious and short of breath. Luckily, I only had to wait five minutes until my stop, and then I could concentrate on running over to Sciences Po. By the way, apart from the Republique Beaux-Arts Metro station, Lille's Transpole system is in desperate need of some good cleaners. Maybe I'm spoiled by the DC Metro, which is generally clean(ish), but I'm not very happy with having to navigate around a floor covered with cigarette butts, used tickets, leaves, and spit. I know I sound peevish - I think I'm probably a little homesick. I was uncomfortable with how much people smoke in Virginia, but in France I'm starting to get a permanent stomachache from all the cigarette smoke. I've met some incredibly nice people in the international program who smoke, and I understand that it's an addiction and very hard to quit. That doesn't change the fact that it's deadly, and I don't enjoy being constantly surrounded by it. Sigh.
Other than having to deal with the Metro and smokers, the day went by reasonably well. I'm a fan of the cheese sandwiches served in Sciences Po's cafeteria, though I suspect I'll have to start limiting my intake if I don't want to gain five pounds of French bread. I finally took out some vegetarian recipes tonight to try and put together a menu, since for the past week I've basically been surviving on yogurt, bananas, and peanut butter when I'm not at school, and cheese sandwiches when I am. Basically, I really need some vegetables, stat.
No big plans for the weekend. I might go to an international student get-together tomorrow night, although considering most of the BDI events have involved bars and partying, I'm a little out of my element at them. Apparently there's a nice market in Wazemmes on Sunday with great prices, so I might do some shopping then. Other than that, I'm trying to take it easy; I've already had to spend money on French insurance, and until UVa sends me my refund in about a week, I've got to be responsible with my expenses. Shame, really, because I'd like to go to Paris, but I ought to be practical. Even in Europe, I'm the scholarship student.