Sunday, January 8, 2012

Palais des Beaux-Arts

Today I decided to meet up with some new friends at the art museum, the Palais des Beaux-Arts. It's in the pretty part of Lille, with the old, ornate buildings and smaller touches like statues and a flowing water fountain. I showed up a little early and wandered around looking for a boulangerie, even though, as I realized walking down the Rue de Gambetta, most stores in France are closed on Sundays. I finally found a sandwich shop that also sold pastries, and bought a pain à la crème and a crossaint. I must say, anyone who talks about the glories of French baking is absolutely correct. Much like my pain au chocolat yesterday, the pastries were absolutely delicious.

The museum itself was wonderful, too. It's a beautiful building, intricately designed with mosaics in the floor. I didn't take many pictures, as I wasn't sure if I was allowed to, but it was a gorgeous place, and I can't wait to go back when it's free. Working in the art history department has served me well; I love being able to identify certain painting techniques or recognize an artist or style. I especially loved their Middle Ages and Renaissance collection, which surprised me, as art from the Middle Ages is usually not my favorite. I think there was something about being in the same country where so many of the works had been created, and realizing just how much work had gone into their crafting and restoration, that made everything that much more impressive. And sue me, I like religious art, okay?

Afterward, the group went out into the city center for a snack. There were creperies galore open; I'll have to try one once I get all my major expenses taken care of. We ended up at a place that served fancy drinks and sandwiches; I ended up getting just an egg sandwich without anything to drink. We talked American politics while we ate. It was so interesting discussing politics at a table with a Canadian, a Finn, a South Korean, and a Swede, and only one another American to bounce my views off of. If this is what the semester is going to be like, I can't wait for the rest of it!

Then I went back to my place and slept, which is the story of my life nowadays. I'll be so glad when my body finally gets accustomed to this time zone, you don't even know.

Introductory seminar begins tomorrow! Yay!