Monday, January 23, 2012

Art

Today I bought groceries, slept, and tried but mostly failed to work on my Batten application. Thus, I have nothing interesting to report. It was a recovery from Paris day, I guess. In lieu of an actual interesting post, have the rest of the Avatar art I've drawn over the past two weeks:
These are main characters from Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I realize this show has not yet been released, but since I am still ridiculously excited for it, I decided to try my hand at drawing the trio of Korra, Mako, and Bolin. I also drew a picture of Aang and Katara's granddaughters Jinora and Ikki, but I'm not especially happy with it, so I don't think I'll put it online. By the way, is it strange that I really don't like the Aang/Katara pairing but am fangirling like crazy over pictures of their son and his adorable airbending family? Something to ponder, anyway.
This is Katara. She's not my favorite ATLA character, but she's still awesome and probably the most like me. She can waterbend, and since that is my preferred element in the Avatar world, I feel that I am obligated to like her. Anyway. Yes, Katara. She's fun to draw. I'm especially proud of the lower lefthand image. I think I did a good job with her face and her hair. Also, hands are really hard to draw, but I did it!

I drew this today. It's Katara and Zuko who should have ended up together from the finale. The background is a little iffy, but I think I did a reasonably good job with the characters.

Also, who wants some tl;dr about Avatar shipping? Here, have this exchange from my Tumblr from a few months ago:

Tumblr user beeftony:
I hate when people try and justify Zutara by saying that “opposites attract.” Zuko and Katara are not opposites. They bend opposing elements, yes, but let’s consider the facts. They both:
  • Have a distant father figure
  • Lost their mothers at a young age
  • Have a sibling who is more eager to fight than they are
  • Had to grow up before they should have
  • Have serious anger issues
All of which paints a picture of two people who can relate to each other on an emotional level because they are so goddamn similar. The main thing that separates them is how they reacted to their circumstances, and their relationship with what remains of their families. What keeps them apart is largely circumstantial, and if things had gone differently they may very well have ended up together.
Zuko and Aang had parallel journeys, but Zuko and Katara reflect one another. That’s different from being opposites, and it’s better for a long term relationship if they have things in common.
That’s why I ship it, anyway.
Me from the past (as Tumblr user secondhermione):

This actually makes a lot of sense. When I started watching Avatar during my first semester of college, well after the series had ended, I had no expectations for shipping (although I had certainly heard of the shipping wars). During books one and two, I thought Kataang was sort of blandly cute, even if it bothered me that Katara didn’t really seem to reciprocate Aang’s feelings (“The Cave of Two Lovers” being a notable exception). I was intrigued by Zuko and Katara’s dynamic, but I’m decidedly not one of those shippers that enjoys the “I’ll save you from the pirates” scene. Sorry, I’m not really into foe-yay.

I became a Zutara shipper after “The Crossroads of Destiny.” By that point, I knew Kataang was going to be endgame, so I didn’t actually expect anything to happen between Zuko and Katara. But I still think that post-series, they became very close friends at the very least, precisely because they have this shared connection. She’s water and he’s fire, but they’re really very similar, and they’ve both lost their mothers. I think they understand each other quite well, perhaps more than they care to admit.
Which leads me to the end of book three. I honestly believe that the writers made a few significant fumbles here, if they wanted us to support the Aang/Katara pairing. Katara needed to forgive and accept Zuko, but the way it was done created the problem of making them very close emotionally. Look at the way they interact with each other, post-“The Southern Raiders.” Zuko turns to Katara for reassurance and understanding, and she to him. When Aang is missing, when Zuko is afraid to face his uncle, when they’re preparing for the showdown with Azula, they find comfort in one another. While this certainly can be applied to their budding friendship, the way their relationship arc was progressing, it seems like the next natural step would have been to start a romance, particularly with Katara pushing Aang away and telling him that she was confused.

Basically, here’s how I see it:

1. Zuko and Katara connect over the mutual loss of their mothers in Ba Sing Se. He then sides with Azula, which Katara takes quite personally.

2. Zuko joins the Gaang, but Katara isn’t quite ready to forgive him yet. Their interactions, especially on Katara’s part, are highly charged. (This is important.)

3. Zuko desperately wants to gain Katara’s acceptance, to the point where he waits outside her tent all night just to talk to her. He then uses their shared bond - the loss of their mothers - to restart their connection. While Katara ultimately doesn’t take revenge, she comes to forgive Zuko, and they work well together as a team.

4. Aang wants to know why he and Katara haven’t progressed as a couple since their kiss at the invasion. Katara tells him she’s confused, and is justifiably upset when he tries to kiss her again anyway. They have basically no direct interaction after this until the coda of the finale.

5. In the lead up to the showdown with the Fire Lord, Zuko and Katara are often paired up. They’re a team during the battle with Melon Lord, they take charge of the Gaang when Aang disappears (although most of the leadership does go to Zuko, to be fair), and they go to face Azula together. Along the way, Zuko calms Katara, Katara reassures Zuko, and he looks to her when he needs help. Also, June provides some Ship Tease, although this was probably just the writers’ nod to their fanbase.

6. Then there’s the fight with Azula. I challenge you to find a sequence that’s more blatantly Zutara. He freaking takes a bolt of lightning for her. And while, yes, it is thematically significant that Zuko and Katara are working together to take down an enemy instead of being enemies during a finale, I maintain that if the writers had let the story take a natural course, this would have been the time for a Relationship Upgrade. The part where she heals him and they thank each other, Katara with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face, is just begging for romantic resolution.

7. My biggest problem with the Kataang relationship is that it feels too one-sided. There have been moments where I believed Katara returned Aang’s feelings (“The Cave of Two Lovers,” “The Headband”), but they’re few and far between. Now, after Katara has told Aang she’s confused, she suddenly decides she wants him as soon as he’s defeated the Fire Lord. I do like that she’s the one who makes the move, but I can’t buy it. It makes Katara look like Aang’s reward, and I think that’s a disservice to both their characters. Aang saved the world, and that’s great, but Katara doesn’t owe him anything for that. I don’t really see Katara making a choice, here. I see pride in a good friend, I see affection. What I don’t see (or buy, at least) is romantic attraction.

Also, I would have been fine with a peck on the cheek or even a quick kiss on the lips. But it honestly kind of squicks me out - Aang is 12 (for all intents and purposes), and he and Katara share a very adult sort of kiss. He just doesn’t feel grown up enough for something like that, not least because I felt his character didn’t do enough growing up in the finale. This is a problem I consistently had with Aang’s development; I rolled my eyes when 12-year-old Aang said he loved Katara in “The Crossroads of Destiny,” too.

8. Thematically, at least in my eyes, a Katara/Zuko relationship would have been a better choice. They have a great connection, especially because they’re similar enough to understand each other really well. Their interactions are charged - Katara seems to respond far more to Zuko than she ever did to Aang, and she never treated him like she was his mother. By the end of the series, Katara and Zuko seemed closer than Katara and Aang. And, well, if you want me to support Kataang, I think that’s a problem.

So I echo everything in this post, and add that this is something Mike and Bryan should keep in mind (or, at least, I hope they had in mind) when they were developing Legend of Korra. I’m not a Zutara fangirl who liked them because they’d be ~omg so hawt~ together (although I do think they look better together than Aang and Katara do, mostly because Aang is still prepubescent). I liked them together because it seemed like a natural conclusion for their characters and their development, and I know I’m not the only one that feels that way. To me, they are the great relationship that could have been. That they didn’t happen, and that (to me) the Kataang relationship feels forced, are some of Avatar’s very few flaws.

Me in the present: Wow, that was long. I just have a lot of feelings about Zutara, guys.

Anyway, happy Monday, and happy Day Before the State of the Union Day!