Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Preparations

Just a few more hours and I'm off to Europe. My bags are packed and under the weight limit, I'm checked in online, and all the last-minute errands are done. There is nothing left to do but maybe make a sandwich for the plane and decide which podcasts go on my iPod. I'm too exhausted to feel excited, but I suspect that tomorrow morning I'll be bouncing around on the balls of my feet, eager to get going. True, I am rather anxious about the travel days; I'm exchanging currency for the first time in San Diego before my flight, I have no idea where I'm supposed to go through passport control (my layover is in the UK, which is not in the Schengen zone, but I'm still going to be in another country, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go through some kind of security), and I suspect there's going to be a bit of a time crunch when I get to Brussels. My French is not great, which will make for some interesting interactions with my landlady. All of the family friends I visited today, though, told me not to worry. I guess I'll have to trust that they're right and enjoy the ride. Here's hoping I can!

Madeline is excited to return to her homeland.

Blog housekeeping: Since my resolution is to post every day of my study abroad experience, I will upload a small post tomorrow, either from my house or San Diego, but it may not be the final version. Anything I cross-post to Facebook is final, barring the correction of any typos.