Eva and I took a day trip to Dunkirk today. Dunkirk is a coastal town on the North Sea, right by the English Channel's narrowest point but too far away to actually see any England from the dunes. It was the first time I visited the beach since I've been in Europe, and while it was too cold and windy to swim, I did run up and touch the water and collect a few seashells. The weather forecast had predicted a clear, if not particularly warm day, but from the point when Eva and I arrived at about eleven to just after we finished our tea/hot chocolate at two, it was completely overcast. Luckily a few streaks of blue had appeared between the clouds when we were strolling along the beach, which made for a lovely contrast with the sea and the rocks sticking up out of it. I thought about the battle which made Dunkirk famous in 1940, where the Germans had defeated the French and the English were forced to retreat. It was eerie to think that men had fought and died less than a hundred years ago on that same stretch of beach, where children now flew their kites and people jogged and walked their dogs. History is always with us, but sometimes I wonder how and if it stays with the land.
Apart from the beach, Eva and I came across a huge open-air market in the city center, which sold basically everything under the sun, and we took a walk inside an old church and browsed the selection at the local mall. I didn't buy anything, but I was shocked to discover that at least according the stores we visited, I am now more or less a size 8, and am sometimes capable of fitting into a 6 with minimal discomfort. At this rate my entire wardrobe will have to go to the Salvation Army when I get home, although I can't really afford to buy lots of new clothes. I'm happy, though.
Nothing much else of consequence has happened. I've been having trouble sleeping lately, but hopefully after a long day of walking and sightseeing, I'll be able to get some quality rest. Going to Paris to see Leslie and her family on Wednesday. Other than that, it's paper writing and job application central for me!