The past few days it's been very easy for me to slip into my own daydream world. My Tuesday class was cancelled (though I didn't find out until I'd already spent money on Metro fare to get to school, unfortunately), and every other day I was completely free. Sometimes I left my place to run an errand, and I did get some writing done on papers and internship essays, but mostly I think I was just having a week where I wanted to be lost. I don't mean that in a bad way, but I also realize that it's not completely normal. As I described it on my Facebook, a lot of it was "Korra-induced haze," because when I really like something, I often spend a few days utterly immersed in it. I was like that with Harry Potter, and Star Wars, and even on occasion with my own writing projects.
If you've read The Fault in Our Stars, the narrator, Hazel, talks about the kind of books you have a "weird, evangelical zeal" about, and then the kind of books that are "so special and rare and yours that advertizing your affection feels like a betrayal." I don't feel that strongly about The Legend of Korra, especially since there have only been two episodes, but it's been a long time since I've fallen for something so deeply, so quickly. This may sound very odd, but while I've never been in love with a person before, I imagine that it'll feel something like discovering a new work of fiction that inspires this kind of quasi-obsession in me. The other strange thing about me is that I rarely just "like" something; when it comes to fiction, I either have a weirdly-consuming love for it, or I absolutely loathe it. And when I love something, I have to know everything about it, right down to the minutest of minute details. Lest you start to worry, this is a trait I really hope won't carry over to my relationships with men.
But I think I was also feeling, as Vicky Austin would say, replete with very me. I don't think I'm depressed or anything - I've actually felt quite happy these past few days - but having a little retreat like this helps me to clear my head, to sort of step away from the world for a while. Soon enough I'll have to refocus my efforts on serious research and paper-writing, and I have several commitments in the next few weeks, but it's nice just to escape for a while. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it works for me.