Saturday, March 17, 2012

Vendredi/Samedi

Okay, so I may or may not have seen the first episode of The Legend of Korra today, but I don't feel at liberty to discuss it until next week, when it's officially released online to fans. So instead, I'll talk a little more about yesterday, A Ring of Endless Light, and how my Saturday went.

I. Yesterday, Continued

As I was walking into the Citadelle, I saw a group of school-aged children leaving the playground with their teachers. They were all really cute, about five or six years old at the most, and well, here is the conversation I have with myself every time I see adorable kids:

Ovaries: Want.
Me: Not yet.
Ovaries: Please?
Me: Ovaries, I haven't even had a boyfriend yet. Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourselves?
Ovaries: But - but - they're so cute!
Me: (sigh) I know, right?
Ovaries: So?!
Me: Give me five to ten years and we'll talk. In the meantime, you'll have to content yourselves with babysitting or surprise adoption.
Ovaries: Fine.
Me: Good. 

Anyway, so I kind of smiled as I watched the kids hold each other's hands to cross the street, because it was really stinkin' cute. But one of their teachers saw me, and she sort of frowned at me, so I looked away quickly. I hope she didn't think I was some kind of creepy weirdo or child predator! Is it weird to be dotingly amused by children in France?

II. A Ring of Endless Light

I'm about halfway through my audiobook reread of A Ring of Endless Light. It continues to be ridiculously good, although I am bothered by a few things on occasion. For one, I don't get why Vicky gives Zachary the time of day. I mean, thematically, I understand why he's a part of the story; he's a foil to both Adam and Leo, he represents a darker viewpoint in a story about death, and he's ultimately what Vicky doesn't want, because he's needy and manipulative alongside his good looks. But he annoys me so much, and it frustrates me that Vicky buys into his codependent nonsense. Also, Vicky and Adam have a conversation on a hot day in which she tells him that she's "thinking of becoming an Arab" because Middle Eastern accoutrements are better-suited to warm weather. I understand the sentiment, and maybe I'm just too politically correct, but Vicky's usage of the word "Arab" makes me uncomfortable - it could be that I hear way too many ignorant Republicans using it in weird ways. Anyway, it just stood out to me. Overall, though, I'm enjoying it so much.

III. Today

Slept late, went to the grocery store, folded laundry, brainstormed some internship essays, Skyped with Sarah, made dinner. Will Skype with Pooja shortly.

Disneyland and The Hunger Games coming soon. Can't wait!