Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sometimes You Just Need a Day Where You Don't Change Out of Your Pajamas

After a full week of travel, I decided to take this day for a little rest and relaxation. Jackie and I Skyped until about two in the morning France time last night, so I was still a bit sleepy when I woke up this morning, but I had to run over to the Carrefour and get some essentials for the week; I cleaned out most of my shelf in the fridge before I left. Being the supremely lazy person I occasionally am, however, I just pulled yesterday's jeans and my UVa hoodie over my pajamas, threw my feet into a pair of flats, and walked to the store.

Since Jackie asked in passing how the food in France is, I figured I'd tell you a bit about the kinds of things I eat here. My staples are strawberry yogurt, eggs, and Spanish clementines, which are all relatively cheap and healthy. Today I also bought a small baguette, water, and tomato soup; I didn't feel much like cooking. I keep peanut butter from the States in my room, and I still have most of the grape jelly my mom sent me, so I had PB&J baguette for both breakfast and lunch, and a cup of yogurt and a clementine as a side in each meal respectively. I just finished a bowl of tomato soup for dinner tonight, and I'm glad I bought it, because it was delicious. Nothing all that exciting, to be honest, but after a week of excitement it was nice to just be boring for a day.

Not much else is happening. I spent a good hour today watching the first big gymnastics event of the year, the American Cup, and Gabrielle Douglas, who is fast becoming one of my favorite gymnasts, got the highest score out of anyone, even though technically she wasn't competing because she was the alternate. Such a night and day difference from her performance at Nationals, though, so I'm really happy for her. Tomorrow I'm going to read and do some internship applications, since I don't have to go to class, and maybe take a walk if it's nice out. Other than that, I have an inexplicable urge to watch Disney movies in French and paint my nails. Yeah, I can be pretty boring sometimes. :)