Thursday, September 1, 2011

Making Lemonade

I am mathematically challenged. Humanities? Fine. Social sciences? I'm a government major; half of all my classes are within the realm of social science. I'm even halfway decent at biology. Math is my downfall. I can do well in it if I really have the time and energy to study, but I'm taking eighteen credits this semester. Still, on Monday, I thought I was following my calculus lecture pretty well. This morning, however, we had our first weekly quiz. There were only two problems, thank goodness, but I was lost on both of them. I think I was able to figure the second one out eventually; the first one distressed me almost to tears. I will have plenty of opportunity to earn higher quiz grades throughout the semester, but I felt really down as I left class. I wanted to do well in calculus despite being my difficulties with math, and now I'm not so sure I will.

Well, life had handed me some lemons this morning. I went up to my dorm and vented to Sara for a few minutes, then ended up having to power walk to my history class because I spent too much time reading political blogs. Oops. Suffice to say, this was not turning out to be a particularly good day.

Surprisingly, my afternoon went fairly well. I delivered some goodie bags to my PMP mentees, and ended up getting a nice look at the inside of Watson-Webb, one of the new dormitories out on Alderman Road. Let me tell you, as much as I am a Brownie through and through, I was slightly envious of the firsties and their gorgeous new building. I am particularly envious of their lounges, complete with stylish, brand-new furniture and flat-screen televisions. The rooms in Brown still have way more space, though. Oh, and obviously the people are cooler, haha.

Then I had a good history discussion. We had to write discussion questions based on this week's reading, and my T.A. sent me an email complimenting me on mine. It was also one of the most active discussion sections I've been in, and now Matt is in it, too. I hope it continues to be this good!

Dinner was actually decent tonight; I had an egg salad sandwich and an interesting salad comprised of lettuce, potatoes, onions, and Dijon mustard. I went to PMP training, hung out with Sara, and went to the gym, where the TVs were tuned to a Red Sox game on ESPN. I'm a casual baseball fan, but I love the Red Sox. They are, always have been, and always will be my team. Red Sox love is a family legacy; my great-grandfather passed it to my grandmother, who passed it to my dad, who passed it to me (and ostensibly Josh). I notice a male-female pattern here, which means of course that I am destined to have a son who will be a diehard Red Sox fan (though any self-respecting daughter of mine will also love the Sox, no ifs, ands, or buts). I digress; anyway, there was a game on TV, I watched it as I ran on the treadmill, and then when I was recovering from my run, I intently took in the top of the ninth - and savored a Red Sox victory. Against the Yankees. Yeah, even an absolutely terrible day would be pretty darn good after that.

Prayer partner breakfast and study abroad meeting tomorrow! Let's see if I can get a great week out of the deal.