The bad news? I can't be there.
The good news? I can't be there because I'll be on my way up to NoVa with Mary Lacy, and possibly Lauren and Elizabeth, to attend the Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive the next morning, followed by what sounds like an absolutely wonderful weekend at Mary Lacy's house.
(I still really wish I could see the president, though, because he is one of my heroes and I have never seen him in person before. It's the tragedy of having lived in
Still, this is Virginia. The president won the commonwealth, with its thirteen electoral votes, by 6.29% in 2008. It was the first time it had gone for a Democrat since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964. I'm guessing President Obama wants to try to hold on to Virginia in 2012, and he should definitely come by Charlottesville at some point that fall. Michelle Obama campaigned right down the hill from my dorm in September 2008, and I'm pretty sure her husband was in Cville and/or Albemarle on multiple occasions. This Friday will not be his last visit here, I'm quite sure.
And anyway, how many times are Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert going to be having rallies on the Mall, conveniently located just two hours from me? When am I going to have this opportunity again? Never, clearly. And while I still get starry-eyed over the president, I won't pretend some of his decisions haven't really bothered me. Mostly because I don't think he's been liberal enough, or he hasn't done enough to discontinue insane Bush policies. But hey, I'm practically a socialist (only half joking), so I fully admit that my own expectations are probably markedly different from that of the average American. What I'm trying to say is that while President Obama has sometimes disappointed me, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert rarely, if ever, do. They are satirical love.
Speaking of Jon and Stephen, tomorrow will also be a banner day for Democratic politics and their shows, because President Obama will be on The Daily Show and Congressman Perriello will be on The Colbert Report. I'm super excited for the watch party on the Corner! There's nothing like watching your favorite political figures with your favorite University Democrats by your side.
So, awesome day tomorrow, plenty of GOTV as the week goes on, and the Rally/March on Saturday. I really cannot think of a more perfect way to spend my time. Not to mention Wesleyanos are amazing, and this weekend at Chez Mary Lacy should be bomb. Here's to a birthday week for the record books!