Friday, August 19, 2011

Charlottesville Lives!

You can definitely tell it's getting close to the start of the semester here in Charlottesville. There are so many people around, both walking around Grounds and clogging up University Avenue. I think I'm still the only one of the eight girls using my bathroom to have moved in, but my dorm is coming to life; I dropped in briefly on Pooja and Maria in their room, and Sara will be joining me tomorrow. The last orientation session is in full swing; I must have passed about three different groups of first years with orange folders on my way to work this morning. One of the dining halls opens tomorrow, for which I am eternally grateful; I have been subsisting on cold pizza and that loaf of pumpkin bread Leslie brought into work since I left my sublet on Tuesday. Matt was nice enough to pick up some bread for me today, so at least I can treat myself to some PB&J or a fluffernutter if I get hungry.

I went to the gym after work and PMP volunteering today. I now weigh less than it says on my driver's license, which is the slimmest I've been in a long time. Hopefully I can keep it up! I'm going to try to go to the gym way more often this year; it's ridiculous that there are two gyms within easy walking distance (one just down the hill), and I can't be bothered to exercise more. Maybe I can get some gym buddies to keep me accountable!

I finished off my day with a visit to the Tea Bazaar, accompanied by Matt, Ellen, and Kathryn. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of tea. Actually, I'm slightly worried about my ability to function in a workplace after graduation, considering my loathing of coffee and my general distaste for tea. Tonight, though, we had a raspberry blend that I really enjoyed. It was just a lovely evening in general, and a nice way to take advantage of the free time we have before classes start. Friends really are one of the best parts of the college experience.

Well, I have a study abroad application that needs tending to and some sleep to catch up on, so I think I'll leave this here. I must say, life is very nearly perfectly happy right now.