Or at least what Charlottesville is getting of it. Irene's not very powerful anymore, but it's still a very large system, and the outer bands are passing over central Virginia while the eye is by northern North Carolina. What this means for UVa is that it's windy and rainy. Not very exciting for my first hurricane, to be honest.
Safari, my default browser, has been withholding my blog from me for the past week, which is why I haven't been updating. I just figured out that can still access my blog on Firefox, hence my being able to post this now. However, I get the impression that this will be a temporary fix. Hopefully I can keep this going for the time being.
The first week of classes is now over. I really like French, which so far seems to be the complete opposite of last semester's nightmare. My politics seminar will probably generate a lot of interesting discussion, although the readings are probably going to be dense and difficult to get through. I'm also taking History of Christianity I (great so far), United States Society and Politics from 1945-1990 (not as cool as the name would suggest, but I have several friends in the class), Microeconomics (huge lecture, not a good subject for me, but a prerequisite for the public policy program), and Applied Calculus I (do not want; unfortunately another prerequisite).
Expect another update tonight, but for right now I'm working on homework and enjoying the John Adams miniseries in the lounge. I shall leave you with a couple of UVa-centric anecdotes:
Seen on a temporary construction wall by Newcomb Hall: "WWJD (What would Jefferson do?)." The scribbled response underneath: "Sally Hemmings" [sic] (Her name is actually spelled "Hemings.") I'll admit it, I laughed.
Last night was the Tom Deluca hypnotist show. At one point, he made the participants believe there was music coming from their shoes (just go with it). He asked one girl who she was listening to. Her answer: "Lou Reed, he's so poetic." Tom Deluca: "This is why I love coming to UVa."
Twenty-one. College student. Christian. Liberal. Puerto Rican. White. Lover. Singer. Sister. Daughter. Geek extraordinaire. Shoulder-length hair. Peacemaker. Hothead. Know-it-all. Know nothing. Writer. Observer.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)