Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sports Night

Last Christmas, my parents gave me the complete series collection of Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night. Despite his sometimes pretentious and self-righteous writing, I'm a huge fan of Sorkin's work, especially The West Wing. I've known about Sports Night's existence for years, but until today had not really made an effort to watch it. After all, I was only about seven years old when it first aired on ABC, and a television show detailing the behind-the-scenes action of a sports show doesn't hold the same appeal to a government major as a television show detailing the behind-the-scenes action of the White House. Still, since I happen to own it, I decided I might as well start watching it before university life sucks up all my free time.

It's decent. I don't love it yet, but I certainly don't dislike it either. The person who thought a laugh track would be a good idea for a Sorkin show was seriously, seriously misguided, though. It messes up the rhythm of the dialogue and is just very distracting in general. Apparently it gets phased out over season one, which is quite a relief. My favorite character so far is Joshua Malina's Jeremy, who is adorkable in the extreme. What can I say? I have a thing for nerdy guys. Anyway, he had a nice rant about the cruelty of hunting and my heart melted. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show will take him. None of the other characters have really caught my interest yet, although Natalie the assistant producer has some potential. I'm only on disc one of season one, so I'll keep you updated as I watch!

Today was a typical Monday. I slept in, went to work, ran some errands, and walked back to the apartment. The weather was lovely and I had a nice conversation with my coworkers. Oh, and I'm on tenterhooks about Pottermore right now, because I'm sure my email with access to the beta site is just on the horizon. I keep telling myself not to get too excited, and then I jump about ten feet in the air whenever I get a new message in my inbox. Of course they've all been from Barnes and Noble or New York and Company. Argh.

Well, good night, lovelies! Have a fabulous week!