Saturday, June 18, 2011

Certaines pensées sur "La vie en rose" (SPOILERS)

I'm tempted to write this entire post in French, but I won't. Tonight was the first official movie night for my group of friends living in the apartment complex, and we watched Hillary's copy of La Vie en Rose, a biopic about Edith Piaf. Out of fairness to the film, I will say that the story is hard to follow, especially if French is not your first language (we used subtitles, although I think everyone present could speak some French), but Marion Cotillard is phenomenal. As we remarked amongst ourselves afterward, the filmmakers weren't afraid to make her look ugly at times, because that wouldn't have been true to the person Piaf was. Brave move on their part. Cotillard was Piaf, plain and simple - so much so that it was occasionally hard to tell it was her, under all that fantastic makeup and costuming. She made me believe that Piaf's health was failing; I don't have much experience with deathly illness, but I think it was portrayed here far more realistically than in anything else I've seen.

Other thoughts:

  • Piaf's voice is amazing. I'd never heard of her before I started taking French, and now I wonder why, because she was incredibly talented. I wonder if they used recordings of her voice, or if Cotillard did some singing of her own?
  • Piaf's personal life, on the other hand... Wow. Such a mess. I really felt for her when she lost Marcel, even if I generally get annoyed by people who moon over their significant others and act like they aren't capable of living or being without that person. So sad (and kind of creepy, to be honest).
  • The scenes when Piaf was a child were quite well done.
  • Confession: the last scene is very powerful and all, but I was having Inception flashbacks the entire time. I'm sorry, I can't help it! I'm addicted.
Conclusion: A very well-made film that probably deserves rewatching. Marion Cotillard is one of the most gifted actresses I've ever scene. Would recommend for anyone who likes French film, Edith Piaf, or artsy biopics. :)