Monday, June 20, 2011

Where I Waste My Time These Days

Other than on a bench in the park near Mira's house, reading Diana Wynne Jones books, and offline, with my Sims 2 game, here are some of my current Internet distractions:

  • Sporcle.com, especially the Harry Potter, geography, and baby names sections.
  • Netflix, where I am currently watching the third season of Veronica Mars and plan to watch either Doctor Who or Firefly next. Also Blade Runner, which I have heard is a must-see for all nerds (I think I am losing nerd points for every minute I've not watched it yet, actually), but I am hesitant about, because it's a sci-fi movie that was made in the '80s. You know what else was a sci-fi movie from the '80s? Tremors (well, okay, it was made in 1990, but close enough). Although I love Star Wars, so I probably shouldn't knock sci-fi from the '80s too much.
  • Mark Watches Avatar. He's about to start Book Three tomorrow. I can't wait to see what he thinks of SPOILER! Or when SPOILER tells SPOILER to SPOILER, and SPOILERS the Gaang. Basically, everything about my favorite adorkable SPOILER, SPOILER! If you've seen the series, you know what I'm talking about.
  • YouTube, for Vlogbrothers, Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, and, as of today, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Shut up, it's kind of adorable and it helps me relive my childhood, because five-year-old me would have been on it in two seconds flat. Well, I've seen the first four episodes, anyway. Not sure if I'll be quite as focused on it as some of the bronies in my dorm. (Term first heard on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, but I knew the answer to this week's "Bluff the Listener" game almost immediately because I practically live on the Internet).
  • TV Tropes, because duh.
  • Leaky and MuggleNet, as always.
  • NPR.org. I'm searching for a good liberal political blog, as I'm in the process of breaking up with the Huffington Post. They are pretty up-to-date, but I loathe their screaming headlines and sensationalism. I like Salon all right, but I do get fed up with them sometimes, I guess because I still really like President Obama. DailyKos is okay, but I want something that's a little more respectful to religious people. I know there are Christians that make everyone else look bad, but I promise there are sane, non-bigoted Christians who try to practice their faith in a way that emulates the example of Jesus Christ. You know, loving your neighbor as yourself, looking after the needy, all that jazz.
  • Pottermore, even though there are still only two owls and a signature there. I like going to the countdown and watching it tick down when I'm really bored. Gah. Get here more quickly, Thursday.
  • For the lulz, Reasoning with Vampires, anything by Cleolinda, Hyperbole and a Half, and the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks.
That's about it. If you have a site you think I've neglected to mention that I should be wasting time on, let me know. I have no homework until August. :D