This week's miscellany:
- Lauren made a delicious pink lemonade pie for her and Alex's cookout on Saturday, and I liked it so much I looked up a recipe and threw it together last night. As it turns out, there was leftover filling, so I made another one tonight for Fourth of July weekend.
- Going to the grocery store easily adds another two hours or so to my daily routine, however, so I decided not to trek all the way out to Barracks for pre-made pie crust. Instead, I bought some graham crackers at CVS and mixed up my own.
- Unfortunately, I could not get the graham crackers to "sand consistency" no matter how many times I hit them with a hammer (they were in a Ziploc bag). My crust is therefore very lumpy and takes up way more of the pie pan than with the store-bought kind.
- I also made mint chocolate chip pie because I had cheap ice cream in my freezer (it was 2 boxes for $5 at Harris Teeter, so I bought French vanilla for the pink lemonade pie and mint chocolate chip because it's my favorite). Betty Crocker recommended a chocolate crust, so I went ahead and made an Oreo crust. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it tastes all right.
- I now have an insane number of dishes to wash. Ugh.
- It costs the same amount of money to laundry here as it does in the dorms, and there's no conveniently-located quarter machine nearby. I've been meaning to do my laundry for three days now, and I can finally get to it after going to the Corner to get change.
- There is a possibility that I might have two houseguests this weekend. Exciting!
- Virginia mosquitoes are vicious. I can't remember the last time I had this many bites.
- I may or may not have watched the Brave trailer (see yesterday's post) five times today.
- The button on my umbrella broke off and I'm not sure how to fix it, or if I even can. Of course this happened today, when it was pouring rain outside. At least the buses run on Tuesdays.
- The next West Wing episode on the list is "Celestial Navigation." YES.
- I like that I can roundly verbally abuse Antonin Scalia at work and not get in trouble for it.
- My brother is in Chicago right now. He was accepted to a summer program, which means he'll actually get to figure out his way around campus before the other freshmen do and not look completely lost for the first few weeks of the quarter. Haha. I'm kind of miffed UVa never offered me anything like this, though.
- I rescued The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe from the $5 bin at Bed, Bath, and Beyond yesterday. I'm so glad to finally have my own copy, since my family cruelly denied me the one at home.
- No work on Saturday! I haven't had a day off in over a week now!