Sunday, June 5, 2011

In Which I Actually Like Keira Knightley in a Movie and My Twelve-Year-Old Brother Gets a Cell Phone

Netflix sent Atonement over today. I settled in almost immediately to watch it, armed with Nutella and an orange (thanks again, Natalie). It proved to be an excellent adaptation, although it was a jarring experience to actually like Keira Knightley in something. Maybe I'm just letting my contempt for the 2005 Pride and Prejudice get in the way. In any case, I was struck by how closely it followed the book, in some places almost exactly as I had pictured it on the page. Parts of it were uncomfortable to watch with my parents, but overall I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the book.

In other news, my twelve-year-old brother now has a cell phone. I admit to feeling a bit bitter about this; I didn't get my first cell phone until the second semester of my senior year of high school, when I was eighteen. And even then, it was a pay-as-you-go phone. I don't see any possible reason why Joshua needs one, I really don't. But he was ecstatic when my parents came through the door with it, and he's been excitedly sending everyone in the family texts all evening. So I suppose I shouldn't begrudge him this happiness.

That's about all for today. The only other noteworthy thing that happened was that I discovered my newly-short hair now poofs out if I let it dry naturally. I guess I'll actually have to invest in a hairdryer. Bleh.