Wednesday, June 22, 2011

East Coast Heat

Having now been a resident of Virginia during the month of June, I can personally attest to the ferociousness of East Coast heat. When I was in early elementary school my family lived in Massachusetts, so I did experience humidity firsthand then, but life in the California desert really stomps the humidity tolerance out of you. I would hear people complaining about 90-degree temperatures during my first year and laugh, because it can easily get up to 115 in El Centro during the summer. However, after having waited eight minutes in direct sunlight for the bus today, I will concede my superiority in this arena. Sure, it only gets up to the 90s at most (maybe low 100s in July), but the humidity is killer. Not only was short hair a great idea for a Virginia summer, but I'm also very thankful I keep a water bottle in my bag at all times. Goodness gracious. I don't know how people live through summers like this on a regular basis. Also, many Virginia homes don't have air conditioning. I didn't understand this when I first came to college here, and now I really don't understand. It's not terrible in my apartment, but I'm almost always at work during the hottest part of the day anyway. I don't think I could handle humid-heat if I was at home at two and didn't have air conditioning. Wow.

We had another awesome thunderstorm today! I was outside playing with Mira and the boys and we started to feel some drops, but we didn't go in for about ten minutes. Once we did, though, the heavens opened up and it poured. These are the life experiences you miss in El Centro, California. It was nice to just sit in the playroom and listen to the rain (when I wasn't having to chase after six-year-olds to pull them out of it, of course). When I was five I was terrified of thunderstorms, and while I've gotten over it for the most part, I'm still a little spooked when the thunder gets really loud. Neither of the kids I'm looking after are fazed at all by storms, though, so I have to be a big girl about it. That's okay. I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to hone my thunderstorm composure throughout the summer.

Pottermore in less than 36 hours. So ecstatic!