- James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender can act. A lot of the dialogue was a bit silly, but they pulled it off where less talented actors wouldn't have. They also have fantastic chemistry. And groovy genes, to use Xavier's favorite pickup line.
- It's been a while since I've seen the first two films and I've never read the comics, so I really don't remember much about Mystique and her story. I've seen some commentary that basically says this film made Mystique a scared little girl and she didn't get a chance to shine. I do wish this film hadn't ended with the schism (and Mystique's Face Heel Turn a la TV Tropes), but I had no problem whatsoever with Mystique's general portrayal. Or maybe I just really like Jennifer Lawrence as an actress.
- I get really excited whenever I hear French in films now because I know enough to understand it! Also, it was interesting to me that they chose to give Magneto a Spanish (as in, from Spain) accent for his small bit of Spanish dialogue in the Argentina bar scene. At first I thought, God, his Spanish is terrible, but then I realized that Spain Spanish just sounds kind of ridiculous with the lisping and it probably isn't Michael Fassbender's fault.
- I know it seems to be the general consensus on the Internet that Magneto is badass and the Argentina bar scene is glorious, but I really dislike it when main characters are brutally killing people, even former Nazis. It's uncomfortable to watch because it's the type of behavior I refuse to condone in real life. I don't even like the military because soldiers kill people (yeah, technically they're the enemy, but they're still human beings) with lives and families, and they're ordered to do it by the state. I'm babbling but that's basically how I feel.
- Richie and I both laughed at the "Nein" scene. I felt bad, but it was really narmy and over the top. Sorry, Baby Magneto.
- I'm not cool with Kevin Bacon talking about enslavement and the camera cutting to the one black person in the movie. Secondhand discomfort, movie.
- Like I said, I know next to nothing about the comics. From what I understand, though, one of the first classes at Xavier's school featured Scott, Jean Grey, and Bobby Drake. I really liked the Bobby/Rogue romance they included in the first two films, but I'd kind of love to see a movie about Scott and Jean coming to the school for the first time and learning to control their powers.
- That Wolverine cameo was hilarious.
- Sue me, I liked Moira, even if apparently the filmmakers completely ignored everything about her in the comics. Maybe this is because Rose Byrne's character in Bridesmaids was so annoying it was nice to find a Byrne portrayal I enjoyed.
- Okay, it needs to be said. Why on earth would you join Sebastian Shaw's team after you've seen his minions kill people all around you?
- So sad, we hardly knew ye: Oliver Platt's character, Darwin, Magneto's mother (NEIN NEIN NEIN), that French banker's filling.
- Moment of shallowness: Your pretty is occasionally distracting, James McAvoy. Even when you're a faun, but especially when you're a young genetics professor. Why must you be so beautiful?
- I give this an A-. If you have the money to burn and some time to kill, check it out. Very entertaining!
Twenty-one. College student. Christian. Liberal. Puerto Rican. White. Lover. Singer. Sister. Daughter. Geek extraordinaire. Shoulder-length hair. Peacemaker. Hothead. Know-it-all. Know nothing. Writer. Observer.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
X-Men: First Class
Richie and I went to see X-Men: First Class this morning. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, or rather that it was on par with what the reviews had concluded. I never did see X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but I didn't like X3 at all (you don't kill Scott Summers off in the first 15 minutes of the movie and expect it to be good!) and didn't have high expectations for any further additions to the franchise. I guess if you get James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender to star in your prequel, though, you have a pretty good chance of making a decent film. So here are some thoughts (SPOILERS, natch):
Labels:
El Centro,
happenings,
le film,
mi familia,
musings
X-Men: First Class
2011-06-08T07:15:00+01:00
Aida
El Centro|happenings|le film|mi familia|musings|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)