Apparently Charlottesville is thunderstorm central in June. Today we had an especially good one. The rain was pouring down, the thunder was very loud, and Hillary told me that the power went out at the AFC. No tornado warnings this time, though. Thank God.
I had a pretty nice day. I went to church, hung out at the Cottage with Annie, Aaron, and Patrick, went home, and spent my afternoon catching up on Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me!, playing The Sims 2, and making fruit salad. I love getting to choose my own fruit (this time around, I used strawberries, bananas, oranges, and grapes). I picked up some marshmallow fluff at the supermarket on a bit of a childish impulse buy, so I was looking for ways to use it other than making fluffernutters (although I had one for breakfast on Saturday and it was delicious). One recipe I found on the Internet recommended combining it with cream cheese as a dip or dressing for fruit salad. To mix things up a little bit, I bought some honey pecan cream cheese at Bodo's and used that instead of plain old Philadelphia. Hillary came by for a chat tonight and sampled it - according to her, we have a winner! I liked it, too, but it's always good to have a second opinion.
I'm really enjoying my experiment in adulthood, apart from spending ridiculous amounts of money on groceries. It's actually very nice to live on my own and discover what my solitary habits are. Obviously I knew some of them way before I started subletting, but it's different. Even in the dorms there are always people around and you don't have to cook for yourself if you don't want to. Here I make my own food, set my own schedule, and follow my own pursuits, which is both liberating and a bit overwhelming, to be honest. Granted, I've only been subletting for four days, so we'll see how I feel at the end of the summer. Or, you know, in a week.
Finished season two of Veronica Mars last night. I was unintentionally spoiled for the ending, but enjoyed the reveal nonetheless. I do think season one was more compelling overall. Well, clearly; I tore through season one like nobody's business, and it took me well over a month to get through season two. I've since watched the first few episodes of season three, but I'm definitely not as enthusiastic about it, partially because I've heard there's no real overarching mystery plot this time around, and that's why I loved season one so much. Oh well. It's still not bad television, and I loves me some Logan/Veronica (although Logan is kind of a jerk otherwise), so I'll keep watching.
Reading Diana Wynne Jones again. She was such a great writer. I love her style and her characterization (well - I have some things to say about a particular character in one of the Chrestomanci chronicles, but that's for another day). I'm sorry that A) I haven't read more of her books, and B) I never got to meet her in real life. I never got to meet Madeleine L'Engle either. Fingers crossed that someday I will get to meet J. K. Rowling, and personally thank her for how much her books have meant to me. Not even kidding, that is probably one of my top five goals in life. Harry Potter is serious business.
Twenty-one. College student. Christian. Liberal. Puerto Rican. White. Lover. Singer. Sister. Daughter. Geek extraordinaire. Shoulder-length hair. Peacemaker. Hothead. Know-it-all. Know nothing. Writer. Observer.
Monday, June 13, 2011
Fruit Salad, Veronica Mars, and Thunderstorms
2011-06-13T04:30:00+01:00
Aida
adulthood (allegedly)|books are a girl's best friend|felicidad|friends|growing up|happenings|in Chaaaaaaaarlottesville|la vie|let's go inside please I'm from California|the me I be|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)