Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things, Asher Edition

I love kids. They're fun to be around, their energy is infectious, and their imaginations are so lively. Noah and Asher, the little brothers I'm working with this summer, are no exception. Noah is autistic, but that doesn't stop his stories from being interesting (and rather amusing). Asher, who is not special-needs, just turned six, and he's a great kid, really creative and sweet. Here are some of his gems from this week:

(Noah and Asher are playing with blocks. Asher's mother, Mira, notices him working intently on a structure.)
Mira: Asher, that's a beautiful building.
Asher: Yeah, it's a holy temple.
Me: *dying of laughter*

(Background: Asher loves technology, and is particularly enamored with my iPod touch.)
Me: Those are tasty-looking strawberries you have there, Asher. What's your favorite fruit?
Asher: I don't have one.
Me: Really? So you don't like strawberries best?
Asher: Strawberries aren't fruits! They're berries.
Me: Berries are fruits.
Asher: No, berries are iPod touches.

I really can't wait to hear what he has to say next week. First and foremost I work with Noah, but I do love those times when I get to play with Asher. What a fun kid!