Sunday, April 3, 2011

In Which Aida Proves, Beyond the Shadow of a Doubt, That She is a Huge Nerd

I have always had a tendency to become oddly obsessed with various works of fiction. I have been a huge (understatement of the century) Harry Potter fan since November of 2000, when I was ten years old, and anyone who has seen my dorm room or, you know, spoken to me for five minutes can attest that my love for Harry has not waned in the slightest. At age twelve I fell for Star Wars when I saw the Original Trilogy for the first time, and I went through I phase where I wanted to watch the movies at every sleepover Meagan and I had (and I believe I must have driven her crazy - sorry, Meg!) and I checked out every Star Wars novel the public library had. I have read every Princess Diaries book, own the entire Anne of Green Gables series and both movies (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story), and collected all seven seasons of The West Wing over the various birthdays and Christmases during high school. Much like Marianne Dashwood, I can never love in halves.

This remains true even in my college years. Only last spring I discovered Avatar: the Last Airbender, which I have now watched from beginning to end nearly twice over and insist that all my similarly nerdy friends at least try a few episodes. I love all Pixar movies (well, maybe not Cars, but everything else I'm pretty darned attached to), and am incredibly excited for Brave, which will combine many of my favorite things (fairy tales, British mythology, strong female protagonists, and adventure stories set in the olden days) into what I am sure will be an excellent film (and which is, unfortunately, more than a year away from release). I fell rather inexplicably hard for Tangled, partially, I suspect, because I expected very little from it, based on those godawful trailers I was subjected to multiple times during the summer. I have been variously obsessed with The Office, Kim Possible, Full HouseMake It or Break It (shut up), Jon & Kate Plus 8 (SHUT UP), the Vlogbrothers videos (DFTBA!), Gilmore Girls, and the 2008 presidential election (incidentally, I have been an Obama supporter since 2006, and I'm still pretty happy with him. And no, he's not going to get beaten next year because the Republican field is a joke. Called it).

I only say this now because I watched the entirety of the first season of Veronica Mars (22 one-hour episodes) between Sunday and Thursday and can now list all of the 100 most popular girls' names in the last 100 years (Sporcle has ruined my life). There is clearly something wrong with me, and yet I feel so happy. Go figure.