Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Last Vegan Monday

Easter is on Sunday, so today was my last vegan Monday (at least for the time being). Theologically, I don't really think giving up something for Lent really lets you vicariously experience Christlike sacrifice, but it was as good a time as any to challenge myself. Let me tell you, as a milk lover, going without for a day is hard. I usually drink nothing but milk. Water just isn't the same thing.

Foods/drinks that got me through vegan Mondays:

  • Hummus (I had many, many sandwich rounds with hummus and tomato for lunch and dinner, because UVa dining just isn't that vegan-friendly)
  • Refried beans (high in protein and at least trying to be Hispanic)
  • Peanut butter (such a glorious substance!)
  • Bananas (especially good for those between homework cravings)
  • Orange juice (Cafe McLeod sells OJ with an orange slice in the cup. Delicious!)
Foods/drinks I missed terribly:
  • Milk (so, so much)
  • Cheese
  • Ice cream (they had a special sundae bar at lunch today, and of course I couldn't enjoy it)
  • Eggs (which are in practically everything)
In short, fun experiment, took a lot of hard work (and occasional willful ignorance - not sure if the pasta I ate at lunch today was vegan, for example), and maybe something I'll try again in the future. But next Monday I make a beeline for the milk machine at Newcomb like nobody's business. (What did we learn this Lent, Aida? Clearly, nothing.)

Lost a pound since I last went to the gym on Wednesday. Yeah!