Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stormy Weather

Alas, Andi and I lost our challenge to the weather. It was raining hard enough by nine this morning that Andi texted me to suggest we visit the farmer's market another time, and I had to agree with her. I spent the next few hours sleeping and listening to NPR off and on. Then, just as I'd had brunch and decided to be productive for the day, the sirens started blaring and a message told us that the National Weather Service had just issued a tornado warning. When I was very small my family lived in rural Iowa, so I suppose I've been through tornado warnings before, but there isn't much in the way of severe weather in Imperial County, California (unless you count 110+ degree highs in the summer), and I was more than a little frightened. No one in the lounge was taking the warning very seriously, however, and we got the all-clear well before the warning was set to expire. As it turns out, I was scared for nothing. Ah well. It was still pretty exhilarating!

The Wesley second-years performed a parody of Rebecca Black's "Friday" at Coffee Haus (our no-talent talent show) tonight (it got big laughs and a partial standing ovation, so I consider it a job well done). We rehearsed around 6, I went to eat dinner with some friends, and then headed back to my dorm to print off a few copies of the lyrics. It hadn't been raining at all when I left the Foundation, but as I stepped outside on my way to Wesley Mem, it started pouring in a way it hasn't all year. My sandals and the lower half of my jeans were soaked through, though at least I was able to keep the lyrics and most of me dry under my umbrella. And then, just after I crossed the street, it started hailing. It was tiny - maybe pebble-sized - but I was pretty relieved to get to the Foundation! This was definitely not something I encountered on a daily basis in California!