Tonight there was an outdoor screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, so I went with Lauren and Elizabeth. We were going to win the trivia contest, but we got there too late to sign up. UPC asked lame questions like, "Name all four House ghosts," and "Where did Snape grow up?" I could answer those questions in my sleep. Please. No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?
Anyway, Elizabeth and I settled in to watch the movie (Lauren went home to sleep). Amazingly, it's only the third time I've seen it. I think it's my favorite of the films, although it still didn't fully meet my expectations (but then again, that won't happen until there's a ten-hour miniseries for every book with a screenwriter who actually understands the characters, so I've learned to settle). I might finally be ready to write my review, but for now, have some disorganized thoughts:
- I love, love, love the chapter "The Silver Doe" in the book. Ron Weasley is my favorite character in HP, and there's just something about seeing him overcome his insecurities and embrace Harry like a brother that makes me cry every single time I read it. The film did a great job right up until Ron destroys the Horcrux, whereupon they cut out the scene where Harry explains he thinks of Hermione as a sister, all but says she's in love with Ron, and then finally realizes what Ron means to him (and "how much his absence had cost them"). Sigh. It's such a beautiful scene about love and friendship, and I really miss it every time I watch the film.
- Similarly, this (paraphrased) exchange between Harry and Ron in the book:
Harry: No, he must have known how much you'd want to come back.
Gets changed to Ron explaining that he thinks Dumbledore knew he'd need the Deluminator to get back and Hermione's voice to lead him. I also love the Ron/Hermione relationship, but that change bothers me. The Deluminator's power seems to be connected to all kinds of love, not just romantic, and I think if Harry had said Ron's name, it would have worked just as well.
- Hermione is so passionate in the book, and while I think Emma Watson gave her best performance of the series so far, I want to see a Hermione that can completely lose control, swell with anger, or sob hysterically. I like that they kept the Hermione-calls-Ron-an-arse part from "The Silver Doe," but Emma's performance was much more muted than I imagine Hermione would be. She's really a bit of a tiger, or a Tsundere as TV Tropes would put it. She runs hot and cold, and when she says something, she means it. I just don't get that from Emma's Hermione, unfortunately.
- I miss Ginny's fierceness. I'm sure Bonnie Wright is a lovely person, and maybe with some good screenwriting and better direction, she could be the Ginny we all know and love. But as it stands now, film Ginny is nearly the complete opposite of the gutsy, outspoken Ginny from the books. I don't really see how Harry could have fallen in love with the timid little girl on the screen. Ginny's such a forceful presence, and it pains me to have her characterization so tampered with.
- That dance scene is completely pointless.
- Sometimes the movie tries to inject humor in places that don't need it. I'm not really bothered by things like Mrs. Cattermole kissing Ron-as-Reg in the Ministry, but I think Dobby's antics in Malfoy Manor took away so much from what was such a compelling part of the book. I remember being utterly terrified for Hermione at that point, because all bets were off as far as character survival went, and we know Bellatrix has driven her victims insane in the past (Neville's parents). I think you really need to feel that Hermione is in danger. In the book, you have Ron screaming her name and sobbing because he can't get to her, and because we're privy to Harry's inner monologue, you can tell just how desperate he is. In the movie, you have Ron standing around looking really anxious, and Luna making a funny comment about how odd it is that Harry keeps a mirror fragment in his sock. Then Dobby comes and declares that of course he can take Luna and Ollivander to Shell Cottage, because "[he's] an elf." Mmkay then.
- Remus and Tonks have really gotten the short end of the stick, haven't they? It's really a shame, because I love the scene when Teddy is born and all the nasty things between Harry and Remus are instantly forgiven. All the more reason for people to read the books, I suppose!