Saturday, July 9, 2011

Firefly and Babysitting

For some reason I can't even muster the energy to walk to the living room tonight. Lazy Aida is lazy. However, as I spent most of the past three days caring for children between the ages of four and seven, I think some lethargy is well-deserved. All of my charges were well-behaved and fun to be with (and anyone who knows me well knows how much I love kids), but watching any young child is exhausting. At least I got to see Tangled (again) and make some brownies.

Since Netflix pulled Veronica Mars from Instant Watch I've been working my way through Firefly. I still don't really understand the devotion of its following. I do like it, and I think the premise is quite creative, but it hasn't captured me the way I thought it would. Maybe it's because I find Mal so irritating, although he improves with time. Out of the regular cast, I love Kaylee and Wash pretty unabashedly, and I like Zoe, Shepherd Book, and Inara. I vary between affection and indifference for the Tams, dislike Mal save for a few great moments, and can't stand Jayne. That being said, the loyalty Mal has to his crew, and their devotion to him, really resonate with me, I really like Zoe and Wash as a couple (and enjoy Kaylee/Simon and Mal/Inara), and I thought "Out of Gas" was one hell of an episode. I'm also really curious as to the origin of River's madness. That's about it, though. I'm about to start episode 10; maybe whatever makes people so addicted to Firefly will become evident then.