Monday, July 4, 2011

In Which Aida's Weekend Continues to Be Considerably More Eventful Than Usual

Wow, I don't think I've ever spent less time in the apartment on a Sunday before. Sara, Matt, and I went to Bodo's for breakfast around 9, Matt's treat, and then spent a couple of hours taking a leisurely walk around Grounds. I hadn't been out by McCormick or Alderman Road since I came back, but we basically took the most direct route past the stadium and then back toward JPA. As usual, UVa is dominated by construction. The Chem building still has ugly scaffolding on it and practically half of New Dorms have been torn down, I guess so more dorms can go in their place. Other than that, everything looks basically as it always has, except it's dead quiet. I've been on Grounds during fall break first and second year, and it's pretty slow then, but I've never seen it like this before. I know there are people living over in Gooch/Dillard and Hereford, but everything's so still you'd never guess. It was a bit disconcerting, to be honest, although I really enjoyed the walk otherwise.

We spent about an hour back at my place watching old Colbert Report and Daily Show segments and talking about the ineptitude of the Republican Party before Matt left to meet a friend for lunch. Sara and I hopped on the city bus and went to Barnes and Noble so she could see if they had a book she wanted (they didn't). There's a new Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book out, so I read the first couple of chapters while we were there. I was sad to have to put it down, but I can't really afford to be stocking up on hardcovers at the moment. Maybe the library has a copy. Anyway, Sara was discouraged about her book not being in stock, but she decided to salvage the outing by treating me to McDonald's. McDonald's is not the most vegetarian-friendly place in the world. You can't really go wrong with a parfait, though, so I had one of those and a small order of fries, which is more grease than I needed, but it was nice to have a roomie lunch, just Sara and me.

We took the bus back to Grounds and met Matt back at the apartment. Sara was hitching a ride back to Montpelier with Matt, so I made them some fluffernutters for the road (Cult of Fluffernutter for the win!) and said good-bye. I then had a lovely Skype session with Jackie, took a nap (we had a killer thunderstorm at 5 this morning), and updated my Tumblr. I have had a fairly lazy afternoon and evening, just eating leftovers and talking to Josh on the phone. Another thunderstorm has rolled in and I'm not sure how well the power is going to hold up, so I think I'll end this here. Suffice to say I had an excellent weekend, and I loved having friends over. Maybe this adulthood thing isn't so bad after all.