Other notes behind the cut:
- The constant classical and pop culture allusions got tiresome really fast.
- Speaking of which, it always peeved me that Penelope had to wait patiently at home like a good little wife while Odysseus was getting it on with practically every woman he met on his travels. Part of me is glad Clare slept with someone else, and part of me is really squicked that it was Gomez, who struck me as skeevy. I'm still kind of upset she blithely jumps into bed with Henry when she knows he's got a reputation as a womanizer, though.
- Yeah, sorry, Niffenegger, an 18-year-old losing her virginity to a 40-year-old will never not be creepy.
- I'm not a prude when it comes to sex in the books I read, but the way it's written about here just didn't sit well with me. There's a bit about how Clare and Henry pretty much constantly boink, at least early on, and Henry even mentions that he would love to be able to continuously have sex with Clare for days on end. I rolled my eyes really hard. Come on, Niffenegger. Henry and Clare are into each other, I get it. There is such a thing as overuse of hyperbole. Also, niggling point: the narrative and the characters often mention Clare "fucking" Henry (Niffenegger's terminology, not mine), but is that technically possible? 'Cuz, uh, he's the one doing the penetrating. Okay then, just being nitpicky.
- Niffenegger is a redheaded artist, just like Clare. Self-insert much? Of course, pot meet kettle - half the stuff I write features half-Puerto Rican, nerdy liberals as the protagonists, so I shouldn't talk.
- Clare mentions that she sometimes wants to kick her entire family into Lake Michigan. Maybe I'm weird, but while I'm occasionally annoyed with my family, I've never been angry enough with them to wish anything bad upon them. I don't know, I love my parents. Dysfunctional families are strange to me.
- Alba is the only awesome character in this book. Clare and Henry bugged me too much.
I'm off to watch the movie. Until tomorrow!