Friday, July 29, 2011

The Pigeon Hole and Akage no Anne

Things really do get better. Everything about today was lovely; I had a nice morning, spent my afternoon playing games and listening to music with the boys (I won at chess, which considering my opponent is saying something!), talked on the phone with my mother, went to dinner at The Pigeon Hole with some Brown friends, and am now watching Akage no Anne, a Japanese anime from 1979, which so far is pretty much word-faithful to Anne of Green Gables. Admittedly I'm not a huge anime fan, but I almost like it as much as the Kevin Sullivan TV movie from the 80s, which is a really high compliment coming from me. I do wish it was in English instead of Japanese with subtitles, though. And yeah, there are some weird anime moments; the title sequence features Anne driving a pony cart through the sky, surrounded by apple blossoms. Don't get me wrong, that's totally something I could see Anne imagining, but it's just a little strange to actually see it on screen. Anyway, I think I've found my evening entertainment for the rest of the summer!