Sunday, July 10, 2011

Unexpected Day Off

My intention for this summer is to work as much as humanly possible, so I very rarely get a day off. In some ways it's nice, because I like to feel productive. But there are times when I'd just like a break and the chance to do things on my terms. I had every intention of working this afternoon, and then was caught flat-footed on my way out the door when I got a message from Mira letting me know some family plans had come up and she would see me Tuesday instead. Just like that, I had the day off!

Unlike Ferris Bueller, my days off are not particularly exciting. I went to the farmer's market, bought some hair ribbons at Stella Blue, and ran some errands on the Corner. Then I played Sims for a few hours, met Hillary and friends for dinner at Lemongrass, and watched Forrest Gump with them at Hillary's afterward. So no, I didn't exactly sneak my way into fancy restaurants or parades, but it was nice to have the day to myself. I have another day off tomorrow, and apart from church and grocery shopping, I'm as free as a bird. I'm in Charlottesville to work, don't get me wrong, but a free weekend is pretty darn great.