Today was not my day. It started out well enough; I slept in until about 10:30, had quiche for breakfast, and played Sims until I had to leave for work. Then I lost to a six-year-old at Monopoly again, which did wonders for my ego, let me tell you, especially since I really did start this game at the beginning instead of taking over for his grandmother. The one thing I was looking forward to was going for a swim when I finished up with the kids - I was wearing my swimsuit underneath my work clothes and had my towel stuffed into my bag and everything. Instead, by the time I hiked up to Washington Park to use their pool, I discovered it was closed for a special event (of which there was no notice on their website, by the way). I know it's silly, but I was irritated after my long afternoon (which had ended with said six-year-old deciding we would play "dodgeball" and proceeding to throw rubber balls at my head), and I honestly felt a little like crying when I saw I'd walked all the way out there in my swimsuit for nothing.
Well, at least the evening has been pretty satisfactory. I took the bus home, made dinner (corn on the cob, toast with hummus, and a hard-boiled egg, because I need to get my protein from somewhere), and watched a few episodes of Mad Men now that it's on Netflix Instant Watch. I've also just finished reading Meg Cabot's Pants on Fire, which admittedly is not her best work, but it was a fairly nice way to spend a few hours. Meg Cabot's books are my comfort reads. They're like pink lemonade pie: sweet, simple, and sometimes with a surprising, but ever-satisfying finish. Also, many of them happen to be pink.
I'm not a huge fan of this one in particular, though. Cabot isn't Shakespeare, but normally I can get past her writing quirks because she usually comes through with a decent plot. I did like the conclusion to this book, for the most part. I did get annoyed with the constant use of the word "macking," and the protagonist's tendency to forget her anger with her love interest because of his "hotness." Sorry, that just rubs me the wrong way. I realize Cabot's narrators are highly subjective, and their love interests seem so perfect because that's how they appear in the narrators' eyes, but in this case I think Tommy Sullivan was a little too perfect, and while I was fine with SPOILER SPOILER Katie ending up with him, I would have been happier if they'd agreed to put things on hold for a while as Katie sorted her life out, like she'd been intending to do END SPOILERS. Of course, while I certainly like boys, I've never exactly been boy-crazy (guess who's 20 and still hasn't had a boyfriend? Yay, I'm so lame), so maybe I just don't understand Katie's predicament very well. Anyway, on to Howl's Moving Castle tomorrow!
C'est la vie. As Anne Shirley says, "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it." Plus, Pooja's coming over for dinner, so how can it not be awesome? Good night!