Friday, July 8, 2011

Once Again, J. K. Rowling Makes Me a Blubbering Mess

The premiere of Deathly Hallows: Part 2 took place today in London. Confession: I like the films and will watch them continuously, but I'm actually pretty indifferent to them. However, I am definitely not indifferent to J. K. Rowling, and, as with her dedication in Deathly Hallows the novel, she is stunningly talented at making me cry. She was asked to give a speech at the premiere (along with Dan, Rupert, and Emma; you can see the entire collection of speeches here), and, well, just listen:



I lost it at the point when the crowd started shouting "Thank you!" back at her. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but these books really do mean everything in the world to me. If it weren't for Jo, I would have lived a life without Harry Potter. I just can't imagine it. And having seen as many of her interviews as it is in my power to find, I can say with all the conviction I can muster that the success and good fortune that have come to Jo through the series are 100% deserved. She seems so generous, kind-hearted, and down-to-earth, and she is absolutely my hero. If a simple speech at a premiere could get me this worked up (sobbing my heart out in the middle of my little sublet, really and truly), I don't even know how I would be able to say one syllable to her without bursting into tears. You are amazing, Jo.