Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whole Foods

I am a proud liberal Democrat. I registered to vote as soon as I was able, which in my case was June of 2008, right after California's local elections, the last elections before the general in November (the actual month of my birth). The West Wing is my favorite television show, I don't eat meat, and I get irrationally angry at my radio whenever John Boehner is speaking. But until this morning, I had never in my life set foot in a Whole Foods Market.

All that changed at 10:30 AM, when, after braving the Charlottesville Area Transit system and a particularly vicious bout of East Coast humidity, I pushed my shopping cart into the new Whole Foods store on Hydraulic Road. As it turns out, I entered through the exit, but that didn't make my first sight of the inside of a Whole Foods any less impressive. It was massive and filled to the brim with natural and organic goodness. True, it bothered me a little that the raspberries I was buying came from California, because I am just as pro-local food as I am pro-organic. Still, it was hard to keep an enormous and very silly grin from spreading across my face. There were dispensers and neat little paper bags for nuts and spices. I had to triple check the cheddar I was buying to be sure it was really milk-based cheese, and not a vegan alternative. There was a whole section devoted to almond milk, and another to gluten and dairy-free ice cream, made from coconut milk. I could buy passion fruit sorbetto and organic pecans. Sure, it was a bit pricier than I was comfortable with, and yes, Whole Foods's founder is a strident libertarian who opposed the healthcare bill. I didn't care. As I wandered through aisle after aisle of liberal heaven, I wondered what on earth I had been doing with my life all these years. My eyes could hardly take in such beauty.

Clearly I'm being hyperbolic; I'm not about to regularly patronize Whole Foods Market of Charlottesville, Virginia. I'm a college student. My wallet would never forgive me. But with this experience under my belt and a new Trader Joe's on the horizon, I feel as though I've gained some serious liberal cred. Oh how I love you, People's Republic of Charlottesville.