- I went to see Deathly Hallows again this afternoon. Compared to the midnight showing, this audience was dead quiet, but I was able to catch some lines I missed (like Ron's "That's my girlfriend, you numpties!") when sitting with the boisterous crowd from last week. There weren't many people in the theatre with me, but I was rather dismayed to see at least two young children with older relatives. Perhaps they had read all the books, knew what was coming, and had parents who knew they could handle mature content, in which case I don't really have a problem with them seeing the film. However, there was a little boy of maybe eight or nine who sat in my row with his father, and I heard him quietly ask if they could leave a couple of times. My suspicions are that there are plenty of parents operating under the misassumption that the Harry Potter films are kids' movies, and going to see one means fun for the whole family.
- This is actually an issue I think about with regard to my own future children, because there's no way I'm not going to share Harry with them, but it's tough to know which age to start at. The first two or three are perfectly acceptable for six to nine-year-olds, but I'm really uncomfortable with the thought of someone in early elementary school reading about Hermione's torture in Deathly Hallows, for example. That scene was hard for me to read at sixteen, and while Josh handled it relatively well at eleven, I still don't know if I would be okay with a child that young experiencing it. Food for thought.
- Went back to Whole Foods to pick up some groceries after the movie. Yes, it is still my happy place.
- I don't mind not having a car, but it is rather annoying knowing I'll have to add on 30-45 minutes of travel time whenever I want to go shopping. Mostly this isn't a big deal, because especially during the school year I don't have much cause to run errands over in Seminole Square, but it is rather irksome knowing that, even if I get my groceries done at 3:30, I likely won't make it back to work for the rest of the afternoon because I have to take the bus all the way around, past Fashion Square, to get to the university area. Ugh.
- About to make a quiche on my own! I'm quite excited to see how it'll turn out.
Twenty-one. College student. Christian. Liberal. Puerto Rican. White. Lover. Singer. Sister. Daughter. Geek extraordinaire. Shoulder-length hair. Peacemaker. Hothead. Know-it-all. Know nothing. Writer. Observer.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Happenings
Happenings
2011-07-21T03:54:00+01:00
Aida
adulthood (allegedly)|business as usual|happenings|Harry Potter|in Chaaaaaaaarlottesville|la vie|le film|winning the bread|you know you're in college when|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)